What is the Economy?
Altitude has a simple shop-based economy that introduces a virtual currency for easier trading between players. A "shop" is a sign that allows you to exchange an item for virtual currency, or vice-versa. The server has some limited shops at spawn, but the main feature of the economy is the player shops - which let anyone sell anything they want for whatever price they choose.
The virtual currency on Altitude has no value outside of the server, nor any item in-game representing it. Each player has a number representing how much in-game currency they have. You can check this any time with /bal.
Other than the fixed prices set at spawn for the few items sold there, the value of this currency and the prices of items, are set by the community.
Server Shops (Origin)
You can also sell and buy select items from the server at spawn. This is generally not recommended because the server sells most items for a very high price and buys most items for a very low price. The server may be used as a last resort for some quick cash or some quick materials, but player shops will generally be a much better value.
The server's shops are located in Origin, the server's central town. You can get to Origin by doing /spawn any time. Each building in Origin contains a certain category of items that can be purchased or sold. Not every item is available in Origin - only basic materials, common necessities, and items that are limited in availability.
Once you have a shop you will want to generate traffic to it. A warp lets players teleport directly to places in the world. You can apply for a warp any time with /warps apply in-game. Warps cost 5000 in-game currency to create! Make sure your shop is well built, well maintained, and follows the guidelines posted here.
- /bal - Check your current balance
- /pay <player> <amount> - Pay other players
- /payconfirmtoggle <player> - Toggle payment confirmation prompts
- /cstoggle - Toggle buy and sell notification messages
- /warps - Teleport to player warps around the world
- /warps apply - Apply for your own warp!
Player Shops (ChestShop)
To create a shop you will need a chest, sign, and an item you want to sell. Each chest shop costs 25 in-game currency to create. Place the chest where you want your shop to be and then place the sign on the chest. Fill out the sign by skipping the first line, putting the quantity of the item being sold per transaction on the second, and the price of each transaction on the third.
You can put a buy price (what the player must pay to buy the item), sell price (what you will pay to take the item from the player), or both, on one sign. See the screenshot below for formatting.
Once you have your sign created, click the sign with the item you want to sell. It will auto-fill the first line and last line of the sign with your name and your item. Make sure you put some inventory in the shop and make sure it never runs out!
To get the most of the in-game economy, keep these tips in mind!
- You can win money from vote crates and from completeing AdvancedAchievements (/aach)!
- To limit how many items a buying shop can buy, fill the empty space in the chest with something other than the item being bought, like dirt. Once the chest fills up, it won't buy any more.
- Shops are not protected by themselves! You must claim the land to protect your chests from being broken or stolen from!
- The spawn prices are intentionally inflated to give you a comfortable range in which to set your own prices (less than spawn's sell price, but more than spawn's buy price).